Escape from the Studio Newspaper Ad

This forum is for any other discussion about Metallica

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Teamtallica » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:27 am

This last poster/ad is not for Rock am Ring, but from the Berlin (6.6.6) show. Rock am Ring was a festival with tons of bands, the poster for that festival is posted elsewhere, Berlin was a seperate Tallica gig wit Avenge Sevenfold opening. Amazing photo btw !
Teamtallica
Don't Tread On Me

Postby onwardz » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:12 pm

Hey guys, my first post here! A correction frown . . . .

That photo is not from 2006-06-06 either. It's from 2004-06-10 (Gelsenkirchen, Germany).
onwardz
Don't Tread On Me

Postby Wraith » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:43 pm

How do you know?
I'm the nothing face that plants the bomb and strolls away
I'm the one who doesn't look quite right as children play
Wraith
Webmaster

Postby onwardz » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:29 am

T I M E F R A M E

In determining the year I started a process of elimination. I chose a timeline frame that started with the first year that Rob played in the band, 2003 (we can see Rob in the original photo on the right) and ended with Rock Am Ring (2006). This photo appeared on the Rock Am Ring website before Metallica actually played there (in 2006) so obviously it could not have been from the future.

EXCLUSIONS

2003 - James sported the handlebar moustache.
2005 - Metallica only played the two SBC Park shows. From the original we can see that the photo wasn't snapped in a baseball field. Also in the original, James is wearing tight jeans and not the utility pants he wore at the SBC Park.
2006 - Different beard and hairstyle.

WHY 2004

The first image below is an enlargement of the original while the second one is from June 8, 2004 (two days prior to my theory). Identical facial hair and style.

S T A D I U M / A R E N A

Now that I have narrowed down the time, I started looking at pictures I could find from that year (at www.metallica.com) until I found similarities in the stadium/arena details, which are listed below. This took a little while to find but it can be shown without any doubt.

Highlights 2 and 1 can be seen here at the original size.

Highlight 3.

This is the photo in-question with highlighted areas for spotting similarities. Also, notice the locations of the lighting towers in relation to the stadium layout, as well as the height of the concrete devider between the floor and the stands. This last point dealing with the concrete devider was not a frequent happening at the 2004 shows.

This one is shot from almost the same angle as the original. You can see the layout of the highlighted areas is very similar to the original.

All the images, except for the image in-question are taken from metallica.com timeline.

Concluding, I have not found anything in these photos that does not match (that was supposed to be there in the original and it's not in the other ones from the June 10, 2004 show, or vice-versa).

Here's a large version of the original (http://www.freewebs.com/onwardz/2004%2D06%2D10.jpg). One thing, I don't have a lot of bandwith there so if you want to look at it more than one time please save it on your hard-drive, otherwise, once I exceed that bandwidth, you won't be able to view it anymore until next month.

Hope that clears it up, let me know.

EDIT

There were a lot of other things involved, a lot of increasing contrast and brightness in making my decision. This is my all-time favorite photo of Metallica and I couldn't rest until I found out where it is from. All I need now is to know who took it.
onwardz
Don't Tread On Me

Postby Wraith » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:36 am

bigeyes Wow. That is impressive. Want a job?
Wraith
Webmaster

Postby onwardz » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:11 pm

If you're serious, yeah!
onwardz
Don't Tread On Me

Postby Wraith » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:10 am

Well not a paying job or anything :P
But stick around we'd love to have your expertise, you seem to be very very good in providing perfect evidence
Wraith
Webmaster

Re: Escape from the Studio Newspaper Ad

Postby Teamtallica » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:53 am

Reading through old posts on the forum I came across this one and couldn't resist to reply to it. VERY well done to find out where the photo was actually taken. The poster itself though is for the Berlin gig on June 6 2006 (as I mentioned in my original reply posted above) Apart from that, very good research indeed.
Teamtallica
Don't Tread On Me

Previous

Return to Metallica